- Columnist, MoneySense magazine (Roger’s Media), June 2010 to Present
- Senior Editor, MoneySense magazine (Roger’s Media), June 2010 to Present
- Editor, Canadian Insurance Business Magazine (Roger’s Media), November 2008 to May 2010
- Associate Editor, Advisor’s Edge Report/Advisor Group (Roger’s Media),
August 2007 to November 2008
- Editor, The Driver Magazine, July 2003 to August 2007
- Freelance Writer/Editor, for various publications including: CBC.ca, Check UP! Magazine, Business Edge, Printer Gateway, Ontario Construction Report, NOW Magazine, CBC – The Fifth Estate, Metro (Toronto) Newspaper (aka: GTA Today)
- Media relations/public relations for: Cinema Vault Productions, Tsunami Productions, Centre for Social Justice
- Intern at the Toronto Star and Toronto Sun
- Defines and executes precise editorial vision
*Senior editor of MoneySense: Reshaped magazine’s back “Living” section so that topics appealed to a wider audience and the advice was both practical and inspirational.
*Editor of Canadian Insurance: Quickly updated an aging publication to re-create a once-forgotten national brand. Sixteen months later relaunched (with great fanfare) as CI: Top Broker.
*Editor of The Driver: Developed a non-male-centric auto magazine. This fresh editorial perspective was the keystone in securing a partnership with the Ministry of Transportation, which increased our circulation by 3,000% (from 5,000 to 150,000) in less than four months.
- Demonstrates capacity for strong leadership
*Senior editor at MoneySense: Declined the long-standing “Getting Started” column to pitch and write a “Home Owner” column (and blog) that tackles all issues involved with home buying, selling, home improvement and real estate investment.
*Editor of Canadian Insurance: Nurtured key informational strengths to develop a competitive edge, then used these to develop strong stakeholder partnerships. For instance, when IBM agreed to a $20,000 sponsorship role, we pitched a package of custom content (produced by our in-house research team) that ended in a $120,000 contract, in addition to advertising dollars.
- Focus on teamwork
*Editor at Canadian Insurance: Implemented an intern program and in 12 months we trained six student-journalists. Also coordinated cross-product partnerships with other financial publications within the Roger’s Media group.
*Associate Editor at Advisor Group: Wrote for all brand components and provided support and relief during large campaigns, such as budget coverage or tax initiatives.
- Plan and grow online presence
*Editor of Canadian Insurance: Inherited out-of-date site with no archival capacity. Working with web team developed a new site that was more suitable to the brand’s audience. Within 12 months increased e-newsletter subscribers from a couple of hundred to more than 15,000 through a systematic process of recruitment and marketing matched with relevant and timely editorial. Developed an online photo gallery that has now become the standard within that industry. Used analytics (including time of day, keywords/SEO, and topic comparisons) to strategically develop content and increase online page views and time on site.
*Features editor of MoneySense: Using Facebook and LinkedIn I am able to successfully and consistently find sources, topics and human faces for a variety of stories.
- Vast and extensive experience with various writing styles and demands
*Experience writing: investigative consumer articles, sponsored content, features, editorial and opinion pieces, blogs, marketing materials (including brochures, web copy, and advertorials), copywriting, press releases and newsletter content.
- Capacity to work with writers at various skill levels
*Whether it’s the seasoned freelancer or the student journalist, as an editor I’ve worked with all skills and abilities and understand the need for backdating deadlines, instructional advice and quick copywriting to meet a writer’s ability.
*As a trade publication editor, I also have extensive experience with working with non-professional writers and can quickly turn industry speak into readable content.
*Because of this extensive experience, I can resolve hostile situations quickly and effectively, without compromising editorial integrity.
*Excellent proficiency in both Mac and PC
*Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (including: Word and Excel), Quark Publishing System, and K4/InDesign, as well as online newsletters and website coordination.
*Good proficiency in content management systems (such as Drupal and WordPress), HTML, and site analytics.
*Good proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Adobe Acrobat, and digital photography.
- University of Toronto: Honours Bachelor of Arts, Political Science
- Centennial College: Print Journalism Diploma
- Ontario Real Estate Association: Licensed
- Completed Canadian Securities Course (CSC)